Monday, November 24, 2008

The Lost Boys

There are a group of gentlemen I find fascinating. I love to observe the way they interact with women, other men, and each other. The first is chronologically the oldest of the group. He is what many would describe as the "Latin Lover" type. He presents himself as the classic Casanova. The seduction of women is his holy ordination. You know the "women want him, and men want to be him" guy. Although if cornered, he speaks softly, and is hopeful of a future with someone he could raise children with. I find the paradox sweet. The smoke he blows is very entertaining, and even though it is a facade, I have to admit I enjoy this part of him as much as his tender side. The next stud in this stable is unconventional. He is the James Dean of the group. The rebel without a cause kind. His stagger isn't merited by his profession, but rather by his appearance. His looks on the outside are reflective of what is going on inside. His angst and attitude are written all over him as billboards conveying his worldview. This one isn't going to be labeled, figuratively. I find him interesting because as he speaks regarding personal aspects of his life, I can see a testimony of it on his persona. Now I have to relay to my faithful readers a disclaimer. I am well aware that I can not be certain that I have properly diagnosed each personality. I am just telling you what I see, as I sit on the couch and merely watch a cross section of society. Please concede this point to me, and let us move on. The Alpha dog is a very unlikely candidate. He is no one you would pay much attention to if you saw him at the drug store. In fact, you would never believe that he has definitely marked his territory, and has made it perfectly clear to everyone around that he isn't going to give any of it up. I can see world dominance in his eyes. He has a plan...and it will be carried out to the letter. He is prim and proper without mistake. He is a model citizen, and reputable in every way. Yet, there is a little despot in him that comes out in a sinister look or superior nod of his head time and again. Now his nemesis is equally confident. He is regal in the way he conducts himself. He is the crown prince. He surveys his kingdom so that everyone is acquainted with his appearance and his position, but he seldom lowers his guard to reveal his true nature. I did encounter the royal in a casual situation where he did relate to the average "Joe." On the other hand, the newbie is quiet and unassuming. The investigation is underway to figure out what makes him tick. I hold this challenge quite seriously. I might unearth his clock (continuing with the "what makes him tick" metaphor), and discover he is how he is. A quiet unassuming man whose personality is consistant and honest. Or...it might be one of a series of identities that he presents to distract you from exposing his torturous past...but that is a working hypothesis. Finally, the last of the Lost Boys is complicated. His only association with this group is based on a freak act of coincidence. Fate drew him to this unlikely world, and he has acclimated flawlessly. The great fissure of the soul has him treading both sides of the fence. His dual personality works brilliantly to be dedicated to both camps. Nevertheless, when it is unexpected there is an overlap and a complete picture is visible. I find these moments a wonderful treat. He has the ability to execute his craft impeccably, and at the same time converse about the most eccentric and engaging of topics. Schools of thought, seminars, and discussion panels could spend an infinite amount of time disecting each one. This diverse assembly is an educator's dream workshop...a behaviorist's fantasy come true...or merely a humorous pastime for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the women went to be with me and men want to be like me type.

I'm reading all of your well written blogs.

Lance

Lydia Jones said...

Thank you for the consistancy and the compliment.