Friday, November 14, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, Children of all Ages

I was sent an email for a birthday dessert at a local restaurant. Now I won't pester you with which birthday it is, mostly because I find that giving out that kind of information only gives away my age...which is sealed "confidential." I am licensed to kill if that government secret got out. Vanity is a ruthless master! I digress. Seeing that another year of my existence is coming to an end or commencing,(I believe that is a matter of how filled the glass seems), I have to wonder if time is actually passing more quickly than before. When I was a child, time literally stood still. School was about ten hours long, Christmas vacation never came on time, and August was the longest month of the year. However, now the stores have Christmas decorations in July, the dentist sends me my six month check up reminder postcard a week after I've seen her, and every movie I go to see in the theater is out on DVD two days later. What gets me thinking about time's passage is looking at this picture of my sister and I as toddlers. The time that photo was taken there was no internet, no iphones, no DVD players, and no Oprah. The short years I have lived...and yes for those of you playing at home that is my way of saying I'm not that old...I can say that my life has been filled with amazing technological advancements, cultural progress, and medical discoveries that will be recorded by historians as a blessed generation. Eventhough reality bites...there is an upside.

No comments: