Thursday, November 27, 2008
High Holy Days
I am thankful for so much; I cannot describe in mere words, because of the deep and solemn sentiment that is stirred within me. All I can say is Black Friday and Cyber Monday brings a tear to my eye as I wait patiently. Don't be deceived, my anticipation of this most glorious of days is unsettling. I am overtaken with joy just thinking about it. This holy of retail days comes only once a year, and if you have properly designed your shopping plan you could find yourself holding a Toshiba Laptop for only $350. I understand your cynicism about it. The crowds intimidate, and one regards that cost too high for the amount of savings. The inept shop personnel taints the wonders and excitement of the holiday. The lack of parking makes it impossible to make your heart merry and bright. Yet the participation in itself marks the commencement of the season. Christmas is upon us, with tinsel and eggnog. We get to wrap presents for loved ones, bake cookies for neighbors, and kiss strangers under the mistletoe. The pure exercise of capitalism screams Bethlehem to me, don't you agree? Consumerism heralds the beginning of a Rankin-Bass Christmas. Charlie Brown had to admit that Lucy was right about the sound of "cold, hard cash" ringing in the most wonderful time of the year. So as you find yourself waking up at the crack of dawn to get the hottest deals, searching through endless piles of disorganized merchandise, and waiting eternally in lines, remember that it is all started in a stable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment