Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Rose By Any Other Name

Today, I read the most disturbing news. The announcement of the birth of Ashlee Simpson's son was unexpected to me as I glanced over the entertainment section. I understand that having a baby in Hollywood is very trendy, and it is essential for the advancement of one's career. I am sure that this child has a shot at a dysfunctional home like any one of our kids do. They just get the unhealthy environment coupled with privilege. However, my distrust of celebrities bringing up children in this world is evident in the choices they make in selecting their offspring's names. I mean seriously, Baby Boy Wentz will be forced to go to school with the name Bronx Mowgli...yes, from the Jungle Book. This kid is going to get his butt kicked on a daily basis, and who is to blame? Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz must have shared the narcotics in Labor and Delivery, when asked to fill out the birth certificate. How can teachers, recess monitors, or even administration be responsible in defending the Bronx Mowglis, the Apples, or Rumors of this tinsel town world? Can we honestly reprimand the Joeys, Bobs, and Matthews for pouncing on these kids? These artistic types are under the belief that their children are exempt from the playground bully. Will Gwyneth Paltrow be prepared for the rude awakening, when little Apple comes home in tears? Assuredly, these thespians, musicians, and entertainers will gasp on the day they are made aware of their asinine name choices by their own children in either therapy or rehab. Is it that difficult to find a name that won't tempt the other kids to tease and harass yours? Come on! Think of the poor children, Hollywood.

No comments: