Sunday, November 23, 2008

May I have a Second Serving of Guilt?

I have had my fair share of instructors of different disciplines. I am one of those people that need to physically see a human being in order to be motivated to do the insane tasks I've decided to sign up for. I think this approach is deeply rooted in the Catholic heritage of my great grandparents. Blessed and holy guilt has worked to make me do so much in this life, whether it was good for me or not. Guilt has been the single force that makes me floss my teeth, donate to Feed the Children, and keep my appointments with my trainer. It is what talks to me when I'm getting a massage. Letting me know that there is laundry that could be done instead. It is very apparent in the looks of others. Those disappointed eyes, those words of discouragement, those sighs of disbelief are what put me on the straight and narrow. Guilt is so multifaceted, and goes with any assemble day or night. I can wear it around my neck as a stylish scarf to the PTA, and end up baking two dozen cupcakes. I could pin it on my lapel like a vintage broach, and find myself signing up for a book club. I can even put it on as a faux coat, and wake up to a 7 am golf lesson. I know it encourages my"plate being too full" lifestyle, but it does keep me off drugs and turning tricks. I have to commend it for getting me to change my eating habits, getting me to exercise on a regular basis, and getting me out of bed in the morning. I know it requires me to put too many irons in the fire, to be stretched too thinly, and to burn the candle at both ends, but I know that if it wasn't for guilt I would be irresponsible, unresponsive, and unrecognizable. Guilt made me tell my parents the truth about where I was last night; it is what made me go out on a date with Javier because he bought me a teddy bear and a dozen roses; it is what made me apologize to Mr. C the Spanish teacher for calling him a "wetback." Guilt has been a part of who I am, and will always be. I will cherish it, and hold it near to my heart...and I will blindly obey it.

No comments: