Sunday, November 16, 2008

Do You Know the Way to San Jose?

I had a teacher in 6th grade, and I can't remember her name, who hummed this little tune while she sat at her desk or passing out papers, anyway the reason I bring it up is because I bumped into one of my old classmates from junior high school. I was sitting at my neighborhood watering hole just chatting with the barkeep, when I heard my name called. As I later found out, this old fellow Comet had called out my name several times. I was so engaged in conversation and sipping my bourbon that I didn't notice that he was trying to get my attention. When I finally figured it out, I was stunned that number one he recognized me and number two he remembered my name. I mean it took me about ten minutes of mind jostling to remember who he was. Now mind you, I had no recollection of his face. It was his name and the fact that he "went around" with my best friend that he even registered in my memory. Wow! Does that make me sound stuck up? I am speaking of junior high. He lived around the corner from my family, and I hate to say it, I never knew that. He could recall my parents' house, and my dad's horrible gardening skills. He shot off people and events I had suppressed deep in my sub conscience. This encounter made me think about all the other memories I have forgotten. What is buried in my past that I just can't bring to the surface? Do I need some quality time with Dr. Phil? I'm thinking a session or two on air could help. I mean if I don't remember, maybe I could get discovered and finally get my literary career off the ground. I just don't believe publishers read blogs. Now Dr. Phil, if you do, and this is of interest, get me on your show. Oh dear...this is why I don't remember those of the past, I am self absorbed with my present. Mrs. Malucky was the name of the teacher who hummed that song! I wonder if she would remember me now...no, wait, I think it was Ms. Fellwalk. I don't remember. Great! I can't get that song out of my head now.

No comments: