Thursday, November 13, 2008

Conspiracy Theory...Anyone?

Is it just me or is the economy really that bad? I mean, the media has told us morning, noon, and night that stocks are at a all time low, people are being laid off, and consumer spending is down. Seriously, do you see it. I still see a line at Starbucks in the morning. I don't know anyone who rides their bike to work. For goodness sake, the Madonna concerts were all sold out. Friends and I have sat around discussing this problem in depth. In the lunch room or after work, the topic is that we will pull out of this recession, but the theories on how are as follow: there is "the government is under new management thus the economy will get better" camp or "the economy is cyclical hence it has to run its course" faction. The theory I find more sexy and enticing is the "Madison Avenue Conglomerate pulling the strings of the economy in order to create an artificial panic for some future consumer control" junta. It's straight out of an episode of Mad Men. Whatever the cause and effect, the action and reaction, I find that we will always spend because it is fun, it is capitalistic, and it is down right American. So with over priced coffee in hand, a spa appointment at Burke-Williams ahead of me, and the minimum amount due on my Visa behind me, I theorize that no matter what the Down Jones says, Americans like to shop.

No comments: