Monday, December 8, 2008
Sucker Punched by a Kid
I met this woman over the weekend, and I must say she was fascinating. She had...and I'm not exaggerating, a glow about her. She was in the presence of her child, and she could only reflect all that was good. Unassumingly they sat together, speaking quietly as if they were the only two in the room. As we were introduced, I was shocked at how young she was, and began to calculate her age, how old she must have been when she had her son, and what products was she using. After an exchange of small talk, I boldly asked her to come sit next to me. As we spoke alone, the sadness and anxiety began to fill her eyes. She shared with me the uncertainty that preoccupied her thoughts. My heart was touched, and I felt like my attempt to console was very poorly executed. There were so many things I would have loved to have said to her. Words of encouragement, I would have loved to have extended to her. I hope she knows that my concern and understanding were very sincere. I know her grief. However, that was just a moment for when her son returned to her side, instantly her smile returned, her eyes lit up, and her voice was light. What children can do to our spirit! The worst of circumstances, the most confusing of dilemmas, the darkest of seasons, can be swept aside as you look into the face of your baby (regardless of age). They are able to vanquish the wrongs in this world, eliminate the absurdities, and align the planets. They possess a power over us bringing us to our knees with their hugs, and rendering us inept with their loving words. And...we would not change it for all the tea in China.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You sound like a mom, and you make me want to call my mom to tell her I love her. Are you a mom yourself? single or married? looking for a relationship or in one (or both?) you said I could ask, so I am asking.
Lance
I hope you aren't like a twelve year old boy, who has a lot of free time. If so, take up an organized sport. However, if you are an adult, I would say you need to call your mom, and let her know that you love her. All inquiries will be answered in due time.
Post a Comment