Monday, December 29, 2008

It Shouldn't Happen Any More

What the hell is going on? When I heard about the Killer Santa, I was disgusted and almost moved to tears. On Christmas Eve, a man dressed as Santa went into a residence and shot nine people, and then torched the house. The only consolation was, he later took his own life. I cannot believe that as time moves forward, as science progresses, and as technology becomes more sophisticated, these events continue to occur. Is there no way to detect these people; I hate to say, even weed them out? As I write this out in rage, I fully understand that it is sounding a lot like eugenics. I rationally would never condone such a process or even the belief, but as I read the testimonials of the neighbors and friends that have come to mourn the loss of this family, I entertain the idea that this individual should have not been allowed to tread the same sod as his victims. What attribute was so compelling in this monster that the family felt comfortable with his presence? Did he find himself in such dire straits that his mental stability collapsed? I can sit here, and judge without compassion. I can harden my heart to his story, because his actions destroyed any capability I possess to listen. I refuse to know anything about him except this single act. It is enough to condemn his life, irrespective of any good he ever exercised. I refuse to postulate that he ever had any redeeming qualities. He was spawned by hell, therefore, he acted in such a wicked manner. I can effortlessly draw these conclusions. No one can fall into such a dark and disturbing place. How can one's mind surrender to that sort of violence? I must pause...to reign in my anger, hold it at bay, and restrain myself. I will put that away, think of it no more, and return my thoughts to "blue skies and rainbows." Choosing to compartmentalize the appalling of this world into a secure crevice in mind, restores the joy of the season. Damn this man for tainting a wonderful image like Santa. Damn him for desecrating a holy night. Damn him.

No comments: