Saturday, December 20, 2008

Open Mouth Insert Foot

We have all said something we would have loved to have taken back. A tone in our voice we regret, a tidbit of information that did not need to be shared, or an opinion that could have been kept quiet. We all are guilty of opening our mouths, and believing that we are obligated to say something. I find myself continuing to speak, even with my foot securely placed in it. I just work around the muffled sound, by making more of an effort to enunciate. I wish this was a temporary condition, a momentary lack of judgement, a brief malfunction--sadly it is not. I used to rationalize it as "wearing my emotions on my sleeve,"or "being an open book," but as I have gotten older I think it is just as my mother told me, "I don't think before I speak." I do not engage my filter; thus my id runs amok. The wreckage left behind is hard to tidy up. Crap! The morning-after is always filled with regret and disappointment. No, I didn't? I said what? How can I undo this? How can I make this right? What was I thinking? Again? I have to go through the self-interrogation so I learn my lesson. This process is not as effective as I would like. There is no doubt that someone is asleep at the job. There has to be an avenger for those of us that are incredibly stupid. A hero to sweep in and stop the foolishness, or at least assistance with damage-control. Superego to the rescue!

No comments: