Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Once the Smoke Clears

I was thinking why people in this day and age still smoke. I have been told that it is relaxing or has to do with oral fixation. I don't get it. I am sure that it can't be an awful experience, because so many people continue to do it. I am just fascinated by the type of people I see smoking. I walk outside the hospital, and the respiratory tech is puffing away. I go to the gym, and the trainer is having a cigarette. The dancer or the singer is as guilty. I consider it odd that body- centric individuals have this addiction. Is it p.c. to say addiction? I don't want to offend...well, I guess I might have already done that. I am not suggesting that we round up smokers, and place them in quit-cold-turkey camps. I am not organizing their genocide. They have a well organized committee on it; I do believe you have heard of them, "Big Tobacco." I have to ask for the sake of pure unadulterated academic curiosity, why smoke ? If the performance of your body is your money-maker, if you treat the pulmonary health of others, if you push others to reach physical excellence, why smoke yourself? I subscribe to the notion that smokers should be people who are not physically minded. They should certainly not be health care providers. Aren't they going against some kind of oath? Doesn't it affect your breathing when you dance? Or damage your singing ability? I am just throwing the possibility out there that maybe, these career choices are compromised by tobacco. I am seeing the smokers' aptitude better suited for cocktail waitress, roadie, or custodian. This is what I see when the smoke finally clears.

No comments: