Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Going Through the Motions

Everyone likes to recall all the eventful moments of the past year. We want to remember all that was extraordinary and that brought us joy. When I rummage through my mind, I can acknowledge a lot of occasions to celebrate. However, this year there is only one thing, this single event that completely changes my outlook. All memories have to go through this solitary event. I can only say to you that I lost someone I loved very dear. I didn't know how much I loved him nor how important he was until he left. I do believe I wept for entire month. Whether that is accurate or not, I just can't bring to my remembrance anything else. Nevertheless, the tears soon evolved into anger. I was angry about losing him, about not spending enough time with him, and about how he left his affairs. The funny thing is that I know I conducted daily chores this year...I took trips, celebrated birthdays, and had fun. There is evidence of all of this in my digital camera. Yet when I take time to think back, it is as if that was a day or two and the whole rest of the time was just me walking in a fog. An angry tear stained fog was what greeted me in the morning and lulled me to sleep at night. All I did was imitate someone living. I didn't feel any of it. I wanted to break through the cloud and just feel something. When I gaze back on this year, it was a series of attempts to feel, to engage, to care. I can only hope I do not turn into a pyre of salt as I reflect on 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From what I see, you spend a lot of time looking at the past. Turning into salt is the least of your worries. If you constantly muse over what has occurred, you prevent yourself from enjoying the now. Glance back, learn from it and move forward. You deprive yourself of so much happiness. Focus on what you have not what you lost.

L