Friday, December 12, 2008
Cheerleaders Wanted
I have to admit C.S. Lewis was brilliant. He said so eloquently, regarding friendship, that it is not a necessity for survival. There is no need for a BFF on a desert island. He likened the need of a bosom buddy to art or philosophy; they are non essentials for the daily grind. Which makes total sense, I always thought my college friends who were Philosophy and Art History majors were unpractical. When are you going to use that? What career pays for you to sit around and discuss the significance of man? However, he doesn't stop there; he continued by saying that companionship of a kindred spirit gives value to this existence. I know I often find myself meandering each day, fulfilling my duties with a cloud over my head. Like Eeyore, I respond in a most melancholy manner, and perform in a most mediocre method. Despite my gloomy disposition, I always encounter a ray of sunshine when a comrade at work emails me a funny joke, a pal shoots me a "how ya doing?" voicemail, or a confidant calls me over to get a cup of coffee and talk. Yes...when I feel like I am going through the motions, and I believe that no one is watching, no one detects my weariness, no one has a clue that I got the "blues," I always get a friendly note, a kind message, a word of encouragement that empowers me to push on with meaning. Friends make surviving have value. A meaningful life is the theme of debate for the philosopher, and the subject of the artist. This Gloomy Gus is grateful for the emoticons!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Love is essential not to existence, but to life. You sound like you are just existing and the chain emails remind you of the greater experience that life can be. Why so serious? I can't believe someone like you doesn't have people around who love her. Or is it that you are afraid of losing love gained? Don't be blind to the love those around you give you. Ignoring that love withers not only you, but the love givers too.
Sorry to get sucked into your pity party. Snap out of it and start living! Of course, don't stop blogging. I need something to read on my break.
You call it a pity party; I call it self-expression. I concurr with the timeless sentiment of Shrek, that I am an onion with many layers. This blog is just another layer coming off. Enjoy the superficial and the internal struggle. It is all me.
We all get down. We all get depressed. Some of us have more to be depressed about and some of us just think we do. I think the most depressing thing I experienced brought me to undestand how to obtain joy. The one thing that made me depressed was coming to the understanding the I had lost my "first love" for Christ. I lost communion. Recognizing this made me aware that without a true relationship with God, this whole world is just a series of empty exercises. If you lose your life you will gain it. It wasn't until Peter focused on himself instead of Jesus, that he started to sink.
Literature is about writing out the observations, the sentiments, and the universal conflicts of humanity. If we only put to press the good and the happy, how can we acheive growth and understanding of ourselves. I write to entertain, to provoke thought and discussion, but overall, I write because I find it therapeutic.
Post a Comment