Saturday, December 6, 2008

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

I feel like a substitute teacher. You know the person who pitch hits for the regular teacher. I'm not just talking about the one who comes in for the day, and puts a video on to entertain the class. No, I'm speaking of the sub who is there for a week because the teacher has gone out of town for a conference. You see, the regular teacher knows her class; she has to get through the normal lessons (whatever normal is). However, the long-term sub is treated differently by the class. They pay more attention to detail, and want to know more about this intermediate instructor. They are more anxious to please, to give compliments, and to spend their break chit chatting with him/ her. However, when the regular teacher comes back, the infatuation is over. It is back to business. No more special treatment! Therefore, I acknowledge that my role has merely been that of a bench warmer. I kept the embers glowing until the real McCoy returned. I was an effective surrogate, but my time has come to an end. The problem with being a substitute teacher is that you grow attached to the class, you start to believe that you are the regular, and you are disappointed when your contract has expired. Shame on the class that makes it so damn hard to leave. If you had just been less amusing, less charismatic, and less wonderful, the transition to a new class wouldn't be so bittersweet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your commentary alot. you are very perceptive. I might be reading too much into this, but I see your writing about internal conflict, which i guess we all have. I'd love to know more of your bio to better understand what you mean, if your willing to share with me. If not, I'll just keep reading and laughing.

Lance

Lydia Jones said...

If my reading makes you think, then I have done more than I have bargained. What do you want to know? I am an open book encased in a secured glass box with a security system. Humor aside, just ask.

Anonymous said...

what causes your sadness? As humorous as your work is, you seem to be angry or sad about something. how old are you? any chance you will post a picture?