Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Yuppies Begot Affluenza
I wrote much earlier regarding a group of individuals, The Lost Boys, I see quite often. I sit and watch. Much like a birdwatcher, I stare at the peacocks strut their talents and egos. In this psychological analysis, I sit on the couch and the subjects perform "mind tricks" on the unsuspecting victims. They refer to themselves as experts, as masters. There is no question that they have developed a skill that is marketable and financially rewarding. However, after a year of pouring over the data and research, comfortably on the couch of course, I see countless patterns of hubris. These artists have two prime objectives to teach their craft to the layperson, and to convince the customer that the craft is financially worthy. They are selling a luxury, and in any industry that produces a nonessential, you got to work hard on making the public believe that it is a necessity. Yet in this economy, when luxury is, well, a luxury, these misguided souls are thoroughly under the impression that they are worth "all the tea in North Korea." They act as if their clients, their bread and butter, are fortunate, lucky, might I say, blessed by the gods to have them pocketing their money. I guess it really comes down to customer service, and this generation of twenty-somethings just don't "get it." Why? They were given without hardship; they have taken as if entitled; and they have disposed of others as capricious children. They are a perfect example of what happens when "Yuppies of the eighties" propagate. As I sit on the couch, and I will do so today, I will see arrogance on parade. Men and women assured that they are doing me a favor, putting themselves out, or being bothered. Might I suggest, you ponder your place in the clients' lives. Admiration can turn into loyalty or just turn. Treat the patron as your livelihood, and you will have a "lifer."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment