Wednesday, February 4, 2009
My Friendship Caste System
Why does it seem that people in my life get categorized? I have different degrees of friends. It is as if I subconsciously developed a caste system among my acquaintances. I do not discriminate due to social status, religious affiliation, or financial benefit. I have just come to the understanding that not all friends are created equally. There are friends that I rarely see. Life takes its toll and causes our interaction to be few and far between. However, when we do see each other, it is as though we saw each other just the other day. Time passes and we resume as if time stopped. I love these friends. They are low maintenance, always a good time, and I swell with excitement at each and every meeting. Now in contrast, I have some pals that are situational or circumstantial. I am speaking of those individuals with whom I have befriended solely because we work together, we sit next to each other at the little league games, or we are in the same exercise class. They are the apex of superficial and casual. My interaction with them is clearly marked by our common ground...literally. I wouldn't find myself associating with them outside of the designated area. If the brave soul tries to initiate some other meeting, many times it does not materialize, or we end up just talking about work, or the team, or the class. I find this to be a largely populated caste. In fact, these were my friends in high school, my Chemistry buddy, my stead-fast partner in PE or my go-to in Honors American Lit when small group assignments were given. At last, there is the die hard friend. The one person I am willing to leave my prized possessions with. The one person that I tell everything to because they know me that well, the kindred spirit that I see in thick and thin, the one I hold hands with when tears flow, the comrade in sharing deep truths and silly observations. The companion who I talk to at least three times a day like daily food servings. This friend, you love without question. Your fights or disagreements are forgiven quickly and your sacrifices for each other are badges of honor. Your support group, therapist, and informant all wrapped up in one. The expert witness of your life willing to testify to the world who you are, and how you have grown. This is my best friend. Friends are plentiful in my life, but there is only one that holds this title.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment